Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Book Review

I am doing my book review on Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms. After looking through the whole book, I found the book to be easy to read and interesting. I liked how the author used simple words and real examples to illustrate his points. He also included images and screenshots to give the readers some taste of the tools.
I also enjoyed reading this book because the author included many useful web 2.0 tools for teachers to use in their classrooms. He gives a clear lead up to what read/write web is in chapter one. Then, he goes into each tool in depth. He was very objective about his opinion. He gave both pros and cons about each tool.
I picked the image tool Flickr to focus my reading on. I, myself, am a visual learning. I learn better when the teachers use images to explain the topic instead of using words. Therefore, I would like to learn a useful image tool to better help those who are also visual learners.
Flickr is a web site free to any one to use. Each account can upload up to 20MB of images in a month. They then charge $24.95 for a year for 200MB of images per month. Teachers can create albums and slideshows for students to view. The most useful feature for educators on Flickr is the annotation feature. Users can draw a box around a selected area and write text into the image. When others drag their mouse across the image, the texts will show up. This allows students to collectively add their understandings to a map, diagram, image, and more.
Teachers can also use Flickr as a creative writing tool. Students can go onto the web site to search for a topic/subject that interests them. They can use the images that they have searched and write a creative story about the image. This exercise can inspire many young children to write.
Flickr is an unique tool that can be use effectively to enhance the learning atmosphere for our students. Thanks to this book, I now can go and explore this tool more on my own to make it useful in the future.

Richardson, W. (2006). Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for
Classrooms. Thousand Oaks: Corwin Press.

2 comments:

Outside Whispers said...

Flickr is great. Especially on myspace for slideshows and creating digital stories that are more fun than just words.

Iman Othman said...

I also enjoyed reading this book because it included many useful web 2.0 tools for educators to use in their classrooms. he goes into each tool in depth.i liked the way you give an idea about fliker,in general it was pleasant to read your reveiw.